Please note this day 2 test is for exempt travellers only
All international arrivals to England must quarantine for 10 days and are required to take a PCR test on day 2 and a second test on day 8 of their quarantine period.
However, if you are in the UK for less then 8 days, are in transit or have a job such as 'Regular work abroad' that exempts you from needing to quarantine then you can purchase this day 2 only test which has a home visit option. Please see the government list of jobs that are exempt. You may need to show evidence of the work you will be doing at the UK border. Please refer to the UK government's quarantine rules.
If you are in England for less than 8 days, you must have booked a test for day 2 and take that test. If you intend to stay for 8 days or longer, you must have booked tests for day 2 and day 8 and take those tests.
This in-store service Covid-19 Test Package requires you to visit our branches on or before day 2 of your period of mandatory quarantine. Or if you live within the M25, we can arrange a certified phlebotomist to take your swab from your home or office.
Your arrival date is classed as day zero and you can visit the branch at day 0, 1 or 2. Please note you are allowed to leave your place of quarantine to travel to a testing centre for your Covid tests.
Additionally, if you wish to travel within the time period you may opt into London Medical Laboratory’s 'Test To Release' scheme and submit an additional PCR sample on day 5. This can be purchased in-store or if you live within the M25, we can arrange a certified phlebotomist to visit your home or office.
The PCR swab test itself is 100% sensitive in detecting the presence of the RNA of coronavirus and will pick up the presence of COVID-19 in your nose and throat.
Prior to travel, please simply follow the steps below:
- Order and pay for this test before you are due to arrive in the UK.
- You will need to book your day 2 appointment on the system when you book. The day you arrive in the UK is your day 0 and you can conduct your day 2 appointment on or before day 2.
- On the purchase confirmation page, follow the link to register your test with us and complete your registration. You will also receive a purchase confirmation email with the link to register your test.
- You will then be given a unique code to reference (e.g. LMLAB1234567) when you fill out your UK government passenger locator form before you arrive in the UK.
- It is vital you register your test before entering the UK as the information is required for UK border entry and your appointment.
- Visit our branch on or before day 2 to have your swab taken.
- Your day 2 test results will then be sent to you via email as soon as they are available (in 1 to 2 days after your appointment)
- If you do not receive your confirmation email after this booking, please check your spam or junk email before contacting us.
Your test and appointment visit are included in the price and you will be given the option to book your test on or before day 2.
Can I leave my quarantine location to complete my Covid-19 tests?
Yes, you are allowed to leave your place of quarantine but only to conduct your Covid-19 day 2 & 8 or day 5 'Test to Release' tests.
How do I book an appointment and which day must I select?
The day you arrive in the UK is regarded as your day 0 and you must book your appointment for two days later which will be your day 2 appointment. Please note that you can conduct your day 2 appointment on or before day 2 which means you can book your appointment on day 0, 1 or 2.
Please remember to register your test before entering the UK.
What happens if I test positive on my day 2 test?
The day 2 Covid-19 is to help identify any potential new variants of Covid-19 entering the UK. We are also required by the UK Government to send your day 2 test for genomic sequencing.
If you test positive on your day 2 test, you must quarantine for a further 10 days beginning on the day the test was taken. Please note if you tested positive on Day 2 you are not allowed to leave your quarantine address under any circumstances as per the UK quarantine rules: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-quarantine-when-you-arrive-in-england
If you test positive on your day 2 test, you also cannot opt into London Medical Laboratory’s 'Test To Release' scheme.
When will I receive my results?
You should receive your test result 1 to 2 days after you have been tested - typically within 1 day. The day 2 test does not guarantee next day results.
We are also required by the UK government to send your day 2 test for genomic sequencing if your result is positive on your day 2 test. For the full terms and conditions, please visit our Terms & Conditions for more information.
Do I need to do any preparation before I take my test?
Please make sure you don’t eat, drink, chew gum, smoke or brush your teeth at least 30 minutes before you take the mouth swab. Doing this can contaminate your sample which may result in it needing a retest and therefore, delay your result.
Does buying this test impact the general supply of test kits?
No, we guarantee that any purchase of testing through us does not impact in any way on the ability of NHS workers or anyone else to get tested for coronavirus.